Laravel Automatic Daily Database Backup Tutorial
In this example, you will learn laravel database backup example. i would like to show you laravel export database to sql. let’s discuss about how to take database backup in laravel. We will look at example of how to set automatic database backup in laravel 6, laravel 7, laravel 8 and laravel 9 application.
Sometimes we work on large websites with important data. so we most of the need to take database backup every day, weekly or monthly. so we must need to cron schedule to get database backup. here I will give you step-by-step instructions on how to create an automatic DB backup in laravel.
In this example, we will create a database:backup and we will schedule daily this command to run. this command will take a backup of the database and put it into the storage folder.
Let's follow few step and set auto daily database backup using laravel.
Step 1: Install Laravel
In this step, if you haven't laravel application setup then we have to get fresh laravel application. So run bellow command and get clean fresh laravel application.
composer create-project laravel/laravel blog
Step 2: Create Command
In this step, we will create DatabaseBackUp console command using laravel artisan command. so let's run bellow command:
php artisan make:command DatabaseBackUp
Now they created DatabaseBackUp.php file on console directory. so let's update that file with daily update code.
class DatabaseBackUp extends Command
* The name and signature of the console command.
* @var string
protected $signature = 'database:backup';
* The console command description.
* @var string
protected $description = 'Command description';
* Create a new command instance.
* @return void
public function __construct()
* Execute the console command.
* @return int
public function handle()
$filename = "backup-" . Carbon::now()->format('Y-m-d') . ".gz";
$command = "mysqldump --user=" . env('DB_USERNAME') ." --password=" . env('DB_PASSWORD') . " --host=" . env('DB_HOST') . " " . env('DB_DATABASE') . " | gzip > " . storage_path() . "/app/backup/" . $filename;
$returnVar = NULL;
$output = NULL;
exec($command, $output, $returnVar);
Step 3: Create Backup Folder
In this step, we need to create "backup" folder in your storage folder. you must have to create "backup" on following path:
Make sure you give permission to put backup file.
Step 4: Schedule Command
Now, in this step, we need to schedule our created command. so let's update kernel file as like bellow:
use Illuminate\Foundation\Console\Kernel as ConsoleKernel;
class Kernel extends ConsoleKernel
* The Artisan commands provided by your application.
* @var array
protected $commands = [
* Define the application's command schedule.
* @param \Illuminate\Console\Scheduling\Schedule $schedule
* @return void
protected function schedule(Schedule $schedule)
* Register the commands for the application.
* @return void
protected function commands()
you can check manually with following command to getting database backup with this command:
php artisan database:backup
It will create one backup file on your backup folder. you can check there.
Setup on Server:
Now, we are ready to setup cron on our server.
At last you can manage this command on scheduling task, you have to add a single entry to your server’s crontab file:
Run following command:
You can add following line to your crontab file. you have to change folder path.
* * * * * php /path/to/artisan schedule:run 1>> /dev/null 2>&1
* * * * * cd /path-to-your-project && php artisan schedule:run >> /dev/null 2>&1
I hope it can help you...
You can also follow this tutorial for Backup with Laravel App: Todo with laravel backup service.
We are Recommending you
- How to Create Multilingual Website in Laravel?
- Laravel Yajra Datatables Date Sorting Example
- Laravel Typeahead Search Tutorial
- Laravel Clear Cache of Route, View, Config Command
- Laravel Event Broadcasting with Socket.io and Redis Example
- Laravel 8/7/6 Google ReCAPTCHA Form Validation Example
- Laravel 7/6 Cron Job Task Scheduling Tutorial
- Laravel 7/6 Multi Auth (Authentication) Tutorial
- Laravel - How to search with comma separated values using Query Builder ?
- Laravel Create Custom Artisan Command with Example
- How to Uninstall a Package in Laravel Using Composer Command?